Tuesday, August 16, 2011

In an Octopus's Garden

"I'd ask my friends to come and see-ee an Octopus's Garden with me!"

I think it's best to let Ringo Starr explain where he got the idea for the famous Beatles Hit "Octopus's Garden." Said Ringo: I wrote “Octopus’s Garden” in Sardinia. Peter Sellers had lent us his yacht and we went out for the day… I stayed out on deck with the captain and we talked about octopuses. He told me that they hang out in their caves and they go around the seabed finding shiny stones and tin cans and bottles to put in front of their cave like a garden. I thought this was fabulous, because at the time I just wanted to be under the sea too. A couple of tokes later with the guitar - and we had Octopus’s Garden!

I think we all need time under the sea. When I want to go collect shiny things to put in my garden, I go to NEW YORK!

Can you believe that even though I moved to Connecticut in May, I didn't make it to New York until AUGUST? It's amazing how easily we can forget what inspires us. Luckily - and unfortunately - my friend Michael was about to leave NYC after living there for a summer internship, so I had a great excuse to go and visit!

I had a wonderful time re-visitng this amazing place and these amazing people. We went all over the city and about once and hour I practically shouted "I LOVE NEW YORK!" Sadly I didn't document as thoroughly as I should have, but here are a couple of the shiny things I collected along the way. 

Um... YUM. These gigantic cookies hail from Levain Bakery. I think it took six years off my life, but it was WORTH it!

Don't you love crazy performers in Central Park? I do! This was a fun Jazz quartet singing something awesome but I can't remember what it was. I guess you'll just have to go to Central Park to find out.

Michael. He is serenading Mitch and me with "Bella Noche" on the lake in Central Park. Add a black and white striped shirt, a red scarf and a straw hat we'd be ready to teleport strait to Italy!

I'm not sure why I'm making this face, but it's probably because I couldn't find the right face to show how freaking happy I was. Yep... that's it.




Mitch - waiting for that special someone to complete this romantic setting.

Ze happy trio! We were stuck in a little lake-side nook. But it was pretty so we took a picture before venturing out.


Check out those roof-top gardens! How I would LOVE to be designing in the city.

Speaking of our Beatles tribute, we saw this shiny article at the imagine circle. Someone created that amazing piece of art with tiny tile pieces. Ahhh-mazing.

Well, we didn't get in to the musical, but how cool is THIS!? That's right, I HEART The Book of Mormon. All over the city. Thanks for the publicity :)


After a walk through High Line Park (which I will post pictures of in my next blog post) we found a hope board with this cool crochet shopping basket. People are endlessly creatine! 

This person quoted one of my favorite musicians, Bon Iver, for their hope. It is from the song "Skinny Love." Listen to it. Look up the lyrics. Let it change your life!

And as if my trip wasn't cool enough, Michael and I found that they were filming "The Avengers" when we got to Grand Central Station. Of course they were trying to hide the fact by giving the move the code name "Group Hug," but Michael had super detective skills and discovered what it really was. I wanted to rush in during the filming, but I had to rush to catch the train instead. NOOOOOOOO! 

And so my first trip back to New York was incredible. But my shiny garden is not even close to being full. And as I promised a garden tour around New York, I will deliver. So keep watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment